Reflecting On The New Pivot: EDCI-565 Blog #1

Photo by: Bima Rhamanda

Introduction:

The current Covid-19 pandemic has, indeed, scrambled individuals’ daily routines and livelihood worldwide. Within the realm of BC’s education system, the situation is no less settled as school districts, educators, learners and parents have had to make various changes to provide and access the best possible learning experiences during this unprecedented time. Given the fact that today, there are so many digital tools and resources to support the teaching and learning process, one may assume that our digital society should be able to pick up and move on remotely with relative ease. Unfortunately, that was not the case as in many situations the transition was less than seamless.

Learning Pivot: What went well? What did not? 

Having had the recent opportunity in EDCI-565 to reflect on my experience with the rapid installation of the new “LEARNING PIVOT” or distance delivery, enabled me to recognize the work and planning that must be considered and completed prior to school commencing this fall to provide increased access and equity. 

As an educator, I recognize the use of digital tools and resources had some very positive perks, including quick and easy communication lines with students and parents/guardians via email or texting, increased one-to-one educator/learner discussion time and assistance, growing peer discussions and support, and the ease of which student work or demonstration of learning could be submitted. 

In spite of the positive aspects that technology can provide, I found myself met with various challenges. Specific complications included learners with no internet access because of their remote local or financial challenges at home, poor internet connectivity leading to unreliability, no availability of technology at home, time constraints with technology usage due to parents working in the home and/or having to share technology with siblings, unfamiliarity with communication platforms being used, not comfortable using or in some situations allowed to use platforms that allow access into one’s home, and frustrations with technical issues and lack of technical support. Resulting from these hurdles, many of my learners and their parents/guardians requested hard copies of materials that were physically picked up and dropped off when completed. 

Conclusion:

I realize that there is neither an easy answer nor a quick fix to this dilemma. As we move forward to the fall, I hope that administrators at the district and ministerial level, throughout our province, make concerted efforts to work with educators and listen to parents as they move forth in developing a plan that will enable increasing digital support, access and equity to all learners and their respective family. 

By: Deirdre Houghton