Online Etiquette – A Constant Reminder and Teachable Moment – Extra Blog

As a Career Coordinator, I am frequently reminding my students (especially those in grades 10-12), that it is essential they have an appropriate email address, and that they are mindful about the content they post online, including what they allow their friends to post on line that directly affects them.

In terms of an email address, it is so important for students to have a professional address, rather than a silly one, when creating a resume, cover letter, job application, scholarship or bursary application and  post-secondary application. Many do not realize that an email address can be identified as a formal communication link on their documentation. Therefore, when the address is immature, the person associated with it may also be perceived as immature (rightly or wrongly); and consequently, their paperwork or documents may be passed over.

Furthermore, keeping the dialogue continuing regarding what students post online, as being “out there” for all to view, is essential. Yes, students should be responsible about what they post online either as an individual,  or groups including what they allow their friends to post; but unfortunately, this does not always happen. Thus, it is important to keep discussing that inappropriate behaviour can and does impact future opportunities. I have had many students make comments in class regarding the content they have posted online, now as a teen, will not affect or implicate them in the future, “as graduation is still two years away.”  Sadly, this may not be the case.

Digital citizenship and/or online etiquette is essential to keep communicating about with students both in the classroom and at home. Without it, opportunities could potentially be lost.

By: Deirdre Houghton

2 Replies to “Online Etiquette – A Constant Reminder and Teachable Moment – Extra Blog”

1. Very true! I keep reminding them of the amount of change that has taken place in a very short time. It is not just their university applications that are in question, but how much their online behaviour will affect their job applications in 7-10 years. Although I know this is ‘old’ in students’ opinions, it is still valid: https://www.careerbuilder.com/advice/social-media-survey-2017.