Reflection on Research Methods in the Classroom – Extra Blog

I’ve never taken a specific research methodology course before, that is until now.  Therefore, the readings on quantitative and mixed methods research methodologies (I will admit) were initially a little overwhelming, and involved some checking out of terms and examples online, on my part. Nonetheless, they were interesting.  The readings encouraged me to think about my own teaching assignments over the past couple of years, in relation to these methods of research and the multitude of skills involved in completing a massive research study.  It made me realize that some portions of these methods, we as teachers, actually use in daily in assignments or larger projects.  However, I just never thought of them in terms of their formal names (and also do not have time to dive as deeply into research as one performing a specific study would; rather just scrape the surface so far as a research study goes).  Graphing population density; comparing minimum wages across Canada; recording weather data; person to person interviews; writing personal connections; class surveys; comparing and contrasting natural resources across BC, other provinces and territories; visiting historic sites and reflecting upon it; Show Me What You KNOW projects; and examining Canada’s contribution in two world wars are just some examples where these research methodologies and their corresponding skills are used (again on a very small level).  The readings and my personal reflection, have enabled me to see that while students are completing  specific activities (as mentioned above), they are drawing on different skills sets, knowledge and criteria, that may follow some of the above mentioned methodologies to complete their task.  As important as it is for students to gain the knowledge from assignments and projects, so too are the processes that occur along the way.  As I am learning about new research methods, I feel it is important to inform them on the type of methodology or skills related to the methodology they followed to to get to their learning outcome.